Just go out there and explore reading at your school, community and more:
- Check out the annual Hawaii Book and Music Festival
- Look into Bamboo Ridge Press: This publishing company has been around since 1978 and publishes literature from Hawaii writers. They have an online bookstore, provide events, and even have writing contests you can submit your stories or poems to
- Venture down to Mark’s Garage. This 13-year-old community art center attracts over 45,000 people per year to 12 major exhibits and over 150 performances, lectures, screenings and workshops. They even offer creative classes for youth!
- Looking for new books to read? Browse through the Scholastic Warehouse Book Sale online: Find a local book sale that will offer a variety of books at a discount
- McKinley High School Annual Book Sale is another place to get books at a discount
- Join a book club: Connect with others that love to read! Join On the Road Book Club at Iolani Palace or even start your own
- Visit a local library: There are over 50 library branches across the state to choose from
Focus on reading, keep improving, and have fun as you set and fulfill goals:
- Thinking of studying English, writing, or linguistics in college? High school classes to help you prepare include: English Literature, English Language, Creative Writing, Journalism, Speech
- Rediscover and preserve language for future generations
- Learn about publications and preserving materials at the American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works (AIC).
Great minds think alike. Connect and work with other people who like reading as you reach your dream:
- Volunteer at Friends of the Library: Help to sell, manage, price and sort books, music and other library-related items
- Volunteer to read to children at a local school to celebrate Seuss Day!
- Work with children and volunteer with Read Aloud America: Read to groups of children in both school and community settings
- Help others learn basic reading and writing skills with Hawaii Literacy
- If you love reading or writing, work at a bookstore: Learn about writing, publishing, and commerce in a creative atmosphere